Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pumping Demystified

Breast pumping and milk storage is one of those topics that always overwhelmed me every time I researched it during my pregnancy. With the breast pump, there are so many parts and accessories and with milk storage, there are so many rules on how long to keep or when to discard the expressed milk. Wanting to buy things ahead of time with coupons that I had, I wondered what additional parts I might have to buy, etc. This is what I learned and hopefully it helps you.

First of all, I want to thank Obamacare for making lactation equipment and consultants free of charge as of 2013. Estimated value of $200+, I was able to get a Medela breast pump free of charge (insurance pays for it if it is bought from one of the three in-network providers). About the brand to choose, Medela is the way to go, hands down. From what I hear, no other brand compares. As for what to buy, just know that the kit comes with everything you need to start off with. All the various parts will come together and make sense. Any accessory that is offered in the marketplace is mainly replacement parts. The bottles that come in the kit are mainly for collecting the milk; if you want to use it to feed the baby directly, you will have to buy the nipple. Storage bags are another thing you will have to buy. I don't know if it has to be the Medela brand, but that is what I bought.

As for the experience of breast pumping itself, it is quite hilarious. The whole process is synthetic and mechanical, simulating the baby's suckling for milk. I really do feel like I'm being used, but this invention is really a marvel for this modern age because it is able to add so much value:

  • relief for engorgement, like when baby starts sleeping through the night
  • for bottle feeding, which is useful for allowing baby to have breast milk even if mother isn't around (like errands or going back to work), or if baby has troubling latching on
  • for storage for long term use of milk after mother's supply has gone down
  • to continue feeding with breast milk after mother has 
  • to maintain mother's milk supply (the more you pump or feed, the more your body will continue to produce)




No comments:

Post a Comment