Friday, September 13, 2013

Recovery

It's been over a week since I gave birth and I'm very happy to say that I am recovering well. Recovery is different for each person but for me personally, I didn't have any abdominal pain afterwards and therefore didn't have to take pain killers; swelling down there improved after 2 days thanks to ice packs, and the stitches from the episiotomy cut, which made me have to be very careful with sitting down and leg movements, is thankfully getting better and better each day (takes 2 weeks). My upper thighs were sore the first 4 days due to the 2 hour pushing position; this made it hard to walk around without hobbling, but that has gotten much better too. All in all it has been very good and I am thankful for that.

A quick note about gestational diabetes.. now that I don't have it anymore, I'm free to eat whatever I want. Surprisingly, I didn't crave all those carbs and sweets that I did while I was pregnant. It just goes to show that I just want what I can't have. -_-

Also, about the baby, thankfully she passed all her glucose tolerance tests on the first day and was able to room in with me in my recovery room since 1 pm on the day she was born. This was one of my main concerns (that the baby would not be hypoglycemic and that I would get quality time with her). Rooming in really allowed me to learn hands on how to take care of a newborn. The nurses and aids were around to help me if I needed it but we are supposed to use that opportunity to learn. Since the hospital doesn't allow the father to stay overnight in a semi-private room, I was alone with the baby for 2 nights. The first night was rough but it helped build some confidence. I did send her to the nursery from 5 am - 8 am just so that I can get some sleep but I felt so guilty the next morning that I didn't do that again. The second night was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment