Monday, September 16, 2013

The babymoon is over

As some have told me, the first week or so is easy. That has definitely been the case with Allison; she would feed for a good amount of time (30 mins) and sleep for 2-3 hour stretches during the day and 4 hours at night! Lately though, after the first week, her feedings have been around 10, sometimes 15 minutes, and night time feeding intervals have shortened to 1 - 2 hours in between. I think part of it may be that since she sleeps in a bassinet in our room, I can hear her start to whimper and proactively pick her up to feed her. She "sleep eats" and is not actively alert while feeding. Then when she gets woken up during feeding, she gets hysterical because she wants to go back to sleep, which thus shortens the current feeding time. I'm going to try something different and that is to wait until she really cries to be fed; this way she is woken up by her cries, will actively feed, and will hopefully fall asleep on her own when she is done.

The other thing that has been going on is that I find her to be fussy in the late evenings (9 pm) where she won't go to sleep even though she should. I may have to start going on a schedule based approach with eat/sleep. I know that evening fussiness is normal but it still doesn't make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment